If suddenly, the keyboard of your Dell laptop stops responding and stops to work, then it becomes very annoying for the user. But one should not worry about such a situation as this issue with your laptop can be tackled easily. If you do not bring back the keyboard in working conditions, then your whole system will become useless as a keyboard is one of the most important input devices. If you do not give any input then how will you get the output? Hence, one must fix this problem as soon as possible so that he can make the best use of his laptop. Those users who are using a PC might not consider it as a big problem as compared to those who use a laptop. It is because they can replace the keyboard with a new one, but the laptop users can’t do so.
4 Reasons why your Dell laptop keyboard isn’t working
- Bad hardware driver
- Dirt and dust
- Poor connection
- Wrong regional settings
Ways to fix keyboard not working Windows 10 dell laptop
Method 1- Update the laptop keyboard drivers
This is the primary thing that you should do in case your Dell Inspiron Laptop or Dell Latitude Laptop is not working. You can easily do this following the steps given below:
- Click on the ‘Start’ button.
- Open the ‘Device Manager’ by using the search bar.
- Go through the list of devices and locate the ‘Keyboards’ option.
- Click on ‘Keyboards’ to expand it.
- Right-click on the keyboard device.
- Select ‘Properties’ and then select ‘Driver’.
- In the end, click on the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Wait for a couple of minutes until Windows finds a new driver and installs it.
- Try to type with your keyboard on a notepad. Is should be working as of now.
Method-2 Clean the keyboard
Even though it is a tough task, but you can still try to do so because it would be helpful if the keyboard has stopped working because of dust or dirt stuck in it. This procedure is the same for Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC. To clean the laptop keyboard:
- First of all, you need to shut down the laptop.
- Turn it upside down very gently.
- Tap its base gently.
- Run your fingers across all its keys.
- Remove any remaining dirt, if there is any.
- Try to type again and see if it works.
Fix Dell laptop keyboard light not working
The backlights of the keyboard are indicative of different things and if they do not turn on, then it might become problematic for you:
- Shut down your laptop and then start it again.
- When it starts to boot, press F2.
- This will open the BIOS utility.
- After this, go to ‘System configuration’.
- Locate the ‘Keyboard Backlight with AC’ option.
- If you find it enabled and it still is not working then go to the next step.
- Disable this setting and click ‘Apply’.
- Once again enable it followed by tapping on the ‘Apply’ option.
- Further, you need to check the light of the keyboard. Do this by pressing Fn+F10.
- Hopefully, this method will work on Dell Latitude Laptop or Dell precision the BIOS Utility.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you unlock the keyboard on a Dell laptop?
To unlock the keyboard on a Dell laptop, you need to click on the ‘Start’ menu button. From here, select the ‘Settings’ option. When the ‘Settings’ window opens, you have to select the ‘Ease of Access’ option. Now, you have to navigate to the left pane and select the ‘Keyboard’ option. From here, you can easily turn on or unlock the keyboard. In the end, you just need to press the ‘NumLock’ key to save the changes.
Why is my laptop keyboard not typing?
Sometimes you might come across this issue because of a problem with the software or hardware. A few other reasons why you are unable to type is because of the bad hardware driver, dirt or dust in the keyboard, and because your keyboard is not establishing a connection with the keyboard. Other than this, the wrong regional settings may also make your keyboard not to work as should be.
How do I turn off the keyboard lock?
To turn off the keyboard lock, you need to configure the keyboard settings of your device. You can easily do this by pressing the Windows key. After this, you need to type ‘keyboard’ and hit the ‘Enter’ key. This will bring the keyboard menu on your screen. In the keyboard settings, you can enable or disable the keyboard using the first option.
How do I fix unresponsive keyboard keys?
The probable reason why this scenario occurs could be because of the dust or debris under the keys of the keyboard. You need to clear this dust very gently and hopefully, this will make the keys work again. If this doesn’t work, then you may try to remove and reinstall the keys that are not working. If the problem persists, you might need to replace the keyboard.